Big East Triathlon
JOIN US FOR THE BIG EAST TRIATHLON ON SUNDAY 10th JULY 2022.
The Big East Triathlon has become a classic within the triathlon community and this year, due to building works at the Bradwell Marina, it has relocated its Race HQ to the beautiful location of Promenade Park, Maldon.
The event consists of a Middle Distance event with a 1500m swim alongside the promenade, an 87km cycle in the peaceful Essex countryside and a 20km multi-lap run around the Promenade Park and Hythe Quay, providing copious opportunities for your supporters to cheer you on.
This year, we are holding the event alongside the Maldon Triathlon, and for anyone seeking a shorter distance event, there is a Sprint and Standard distance race available.
Please note that is a tidal river and will be more challenging than a typical open water or pool swim. Wetsuits are recommended but not compulsory, subject to British Triathlon guidelines (section 4.2).
Aquabike and Relay options are also available.
Swim Cut-Off is strictly 10:10AM (1hr10 after starting)
Event Cut-Off is 17:00 (8 hours after starting)
The event is run under British Triathlon non-drafting rules
The triathlon will begin at 9:00am. The event will take the style of a deep-water mass start.
- Location: Promenade Park, Park Drive, Maldon, Essex, CM9 5JQ
- Start time: 9:00am.
- Distances: Middle Distance Triathlon = 1500m swim, 87km bike , 20km run | Middle Distance Aquabike = 1500m swim, 87km bike
- Minimum Age: Middle Distance – 18yrs (ages on 31/12/2021)
Activity: Tidal River Swim, Cycling & Running
Open to: Solo participants and relay teams
Entry Fee: options from just £92 per person
- Refunds Active Training World does not offer refunds, transfers or deferrals for this event or any events listed on the website. If you are unable to attend due to illness, injury, family bereavement or jury service, you will only be eligible for a transfer or credit note on production of official evidence: Positive Covid-19 test result, Doctor’s note or equivalent.
- Event Cancellation If the event should have to be cancelled due to reasons beyond ATW’s control (for example – but not limited to – adverse weather, local or national lockdown) entrants will be given a credit note for the value of their entry fee (minus the booking fee) to be used on any ATW event.
- Additional Fees: A 6% booking fee will be added at the checkout
- Event Organiser: Active Training World
- Organiser Email: email@example.com
- Official Event Website: bigeasttriathlon.co.uk
We actively welcome support and involvement from local communities, businesses and individuals. If you would like to find out more about marshalling, sponsorship or group bookings please contact us at the address below.
Spectators are currently not allowed. If this situation should change we will update this page.
If you would like more info on this event please use the email address below:
Need help with your preparation? Whether this is your first triathlon and you want to know how to prepare, or you are looking to smash your personal best – following a training plan will increase your chances of achieving your goals.
Visit the ATW Training Plan Shop to see our available training plans.
Custom designed medal for all finishers!
Prizes for Top 3 Men & Top 3 Women overall
There will be no prizegiving on the day but you will be able to collect your medals.
There will be full results on the chip timing website both overall and by category.
It is important that you are fit to run and have not experienced any Covid-19 symptoms in the 14 days leading up to the event.
Please wear your number pinned to the front and back of your top or alternatively, using a race belt, rotate the race number to the back for the bike leg and the front for the run leg.
Parking at Promenade Park is charged per hour or £7 for the day and is pay and display. A dedicated car parking area is located on the triathlon event field. You will need to use the pay and display facilities. Athletes staying near Maldon town centre are advised to walk the short distance to the start. Promenade Park is well signed and there will be Triathlon Car Parking signs at the park. Follow the road to the end to park on the triathlon event field. Marshals will be in place to guide you. Car Parking opens at 07:00am and no sooner.
We will not be providing a changing area, therefore please come changed and ready to race.
There will be an informal baggage drop area for you to leave any belongings within the transition area.
There will be toilets available.
Water will be provided on a Covid-safe way on the run route and at the finish. A feed station will be available on the bike route. Full info will be provided in the final details.
Dogs & Buggies
No dogs and buggies allowed.
By entering this event you agree to the below terms and conditions:
Your name, date of birth and email details will be onto the chip timing company. Personal details will be deleted 1 week after the event.
Where specified on the booking form any medical information will be passed onto the medical team present at the event.
1) I am over 18 as at 31/12/2022
2) I declare that I am medically fit to compete & understand that I do so entirely at my own risk.
3) I understand that I enter the race at my own risk and that no person(s) or organisation(s) will be held responsible for any accident, injury or loss to myself, prior to, during or after the event.
4) I understand the organisers reserve the right to alter the arrangements and conditions, should circumstances require.
5) By entering this event, I accept BTF rules.
- If this is your first registration on our new booking platform but had an ATW account previously, your old ATW log in details are now invalid and a new account will be created for you when you book your first event without logging in.
- If you are booking more than 1 place, please ensure that you complete the individual details for each attendee accurately answering all the questions on their behalf.
- Relay entries should be completed with lead entrant’s details only. Additional team members’ details will be taken at Registration on the day
- The BTF Day License for the event is included in the price of a Non BTF Entry
- Prices do not include 6% booking fee. This will be added at checkout.