THE FORMIDABLE BISON DUATHLON IS BACK!!! JOIN US ON SUNDAY 23RD OCTOBER 2022
The formidable Bison Duathlon was last held in 2016…and now its back, bigger and bolder than ever!
This infamous event starts at the National Trust visitor’s centre on Dunstable Downs, with the most stunning scenic backdrop of the Chiltern Hills you could imagine. You have a choice of the two lap Bison course, or the one lap Baby Bison.
After a 13(or 6.5)km trail run around Dunstable Downs, you’ll swap your trail shoes for bike shoes and head off through the Chiltern Hills for a 22km cycle loop with amazing views of the surrounding areas. The full Bison completes two laps, while the Baby Bison ‘only’ completes one.
Each bike lap takes on the climbs of Ivinghoe Beacon (often used for hill-climb competitions), Bison Hill (rated in the top 100 climbs in the UK), and after passing the Whipsnade Zoo penguin enclosure (don’t worry you aren’t hallucinating), you’ll finish off each lap with the climb back up to the stunning vista of Dunstable Downs. But don’t worry, what goes up, must come down…and this course includes long stretches of descents that will be sure to put a smile on your face.
If you’ve got anything left, both distances finish off with one lap of the challenging 6.5km run route.
After the event you’ll be able to bask in the glory of taming The Bison with well-earned drink and food in the National Trust cafe.
- Location: Dunstable Downs Visitor’s Centre, Dunstable Road, Whipsnade LU6 2GY
- Start time: 8:30am
‘Baby Bison’ Sprint Duathlon – Run: 6.5km Bike: 22km Run: 6.5km
‘Bison’ Standard Duathlon – Run: 13km Bike: 45km Run: 6.5km
- Minimum Age:
Standard Distance min age 17 on 31/12/2022
Sprint Distance min age 15 on 23/10/2022
Activity: Multisport – Running & Cycling
Open to: Solo & Relay participants
Entry Fee: From £45 (Details below)
- British Triathlon Licence applied for
- Refunds: Active Training World does not offer refunds, transfers or deferrals for this event or any events listed on the website. If you are unable to attend due to illness, injury, family bereavement or jury service, you will only be eligible for a transfer or credit note on production of official evidence: Positive Covid-19 test result, Doctor’s note or equivalent.
- Event Cancellation: If the event should have to be cancelled due to reasons beyond ATW’s control (for example – but not limited to – adverse weather, local or national lockdown) entrants will be given a credit note for the value of their entry fee (minus the booking fee) to be used on any ATW event.
- Additional Fees: On the day car park fees will apply
- Event Organiser: Active Training World
- Organiser Email: email@example.com
Well marked runs on the National Trust trails around Dunstable Downs, including the footpath climbing Bison Hill.
Marshalled and signposted bike course on tarmac roads, with three significant climbs of Ivinghoe Beacon, Bison and Dunstable Downs per lap to test you and log stretches of fast descents.
We actively welcome support and involvement from local communities, businesses and individuals. If you would like to find out more about marshalling, sponsorship or group bookings please contact us at the address below.
Spectators are allowed at events and we hope you will bring your supporters along to cheer you on. The National Trust cafe in the visitor’s centre will be open serving hot drinks and food.
If you would like more info on this event please use the email address below:
Custom designed medal for all finishers!
Add a medal insert to commemorate your time; whether it’s your first race or a new PB! Available to purchase for an additional £8.
Simply add MEDAL INSERT on your registration form and you’ll be sent the insert in the mail shortly after race day, for you to apply to your medal and display proudly!
There will be a prizegiving to the top 3 male and female finishers in each race on the day
There will be full results on the chip timing website both overall and by category.
Whether this is your first event and want to know how to prepare, or you are looking to smash your personal best – following a training plan will increase your chances of improving your goals. We’ve teamed up with Final Surge to offer plans that sync with your device and calendar PLUS you get daily e-mail contact from a qualified coach!
It is important that you are fit to run and have not experienced any Covid-19 symptoms in the 14 days leading up to the event.
Please wear your number pinned to the front and back of your top or alternatively, using a race belt, rotate the race number to the back for the bike leg and the front for the run leg.
Parking available – charges for parking will apply on the day.
Run – Yes / Bike – No
We will not be providing a changing area, therefore please come changed and ready to race.
No – Duathlon entrants can leave a bag at the side of the transition area
There will be toilets available.
There will be a water station on the run route and there will be water available, self-service style, at the finish. All litter must be carried or deposited in the bins on the course.
By entering this event you agree to the below terms and conditions:
Your name, date of birth and email details will be onto the chip timing company. Personal details will be deleted 1 week after the event.
Where specified on the booking form any medical information will be passed onto the medical team present at the event.
1) I am over the age of 17 (Bison Duathlon) as at 31/12/2022 or 15 (Baby Bison Duathlon) as at 24/10/2022.
2) I declare that I am medically fit to compete & understand that I do so entirely at my own risk.
3) I understand that I enter the race at my own risk and that no person(s) or organisation(s) will be held responsible for any accident, injury or loss to myself, prior to, during or after the event.
4) I understand the organisers reserve the right to alter the arrangements and conditions, should circumstances require.
5) By entering this event, the athlete indicates acceptance of British Triathlon rules.
6) By entering this event, the athlete understands their relevant information will be shared with the medical provider, governing sports body and any other 3rd party deemed necessary by ATW for the safe running of the event.
- If this is your first registration on our new booking platform but had an ATW account previously, your old ATW log in details are now invalid and a new account will be created for you when you book your first event without logging in.
- If you are booking more than 1 place, please ensure that you complete the individual details for each attendee accurately answering all the questions on their behalf.
- Please be sure to select your estimated run time for both distances as close as you can to the given options in hours and minutes (e.g. 26.30 – 26.45)
- BTF Insurance
The day licence for Non-BTF members is included in the entry price. If you are a BTF Member, please ensure that you complete your licence number accurately during the registration process. All licence numbers will be validated by BTF before the event and any entrants with an invalid BTF licence number will be asked to show an online copy at registration or, if this is not possible, invoiced £6 for a day license after the event.
Price does not include booking fee