Luton Hoo Open Water Swimming
THE BEAUTIFUL LAKE AT LUTON HOO IS NOW OPEN FOR OPEN WATER SWIMMING
Luton Hoo is a 5-star luxury spa hotel on the border of Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire, with easy access off the M1 and the main trainlines from London and Cambridge. This ultimate country resort is set in more than 1,000 acres and in addition to the golf course, spa and country club, the venue is home to one of the regions hidden gems for open-water swimming.
Active Training World are honoured to bring you access to this private venue as part of its portfolio of magnificent Swim venues. The lake, formed by the River Lea and set in the valley overlooked by the stately home, boasts a 1km swim lap as well as shorter loops including a 150m loop for beginners.
As with all Active Training World’s Swim venues, you can enjoy the peaceful solitude that the water brings, safe in the knowledge that you are under the watchful eye of our professional water-safety team who accompany you on the water in their kayaks. Whether you are a regular open-water swimmer or dipping your toe for the first time, our friendly team can’t wait to welcome you at lakeside.
If you’re new to Open Water Swimming, why not read our recent article “Our top 6 tips to start open water swimming”
We do expect everyone attending these sessions to be a competent and confident swimmer but this does not mean that you have to be fast. We welcome swimmers of all standards and ages to enjoy our beautiful lake, from professional triathletes, to channel swimmers and members of the British swimming program, to those who simply wish to take in the peace and beauty of the lake and let the calming waters wash away their worries and concerns.
We recognise that many of you will be keen to swim in the lake as early as possible but may not be used to the colder temperatures experienced early in the season. Please read through the Pre-Swim information guide including advice on cold water swimming here
- Location: Luton Hoo Hotel, Luton Road, LU1 4LE. Entrance to the venue is from the A1081, follow signs to the Open Water Swimming (what3words location of main venue entrance ///saints.vague.quiz : entrance to lakeside ///lots.yarn.behind)
- Session times : Sessions from 8th May; Tuesday & Thursday evenings 6:30pm – 8:30pm; Saturdays & Sunday mornings 7:30am – 9:30am; Wednesday mornings 6am-8am; Friday lunchtime 12-2pm. Sessions may added subject to change in demand.
Registration opens 15 minutes before each session.
You can swim for as long as you want within the session time, so if you are training for a long-distance challenge, feel free to stay in for longer.
- Distances: The lake will have three laps available ranging from 150m to 1km.
- Minimum Age: The sessions are open to under 16’s who must also be confident swimmers. Under 16’s will only be allowed to complete the longer laps with specific permission from the lakeside staff. Under 12’s must be accompanied at all times in the water by an adult from the same household. All swimmers between 12-16 yrs will be asked to do a monitored 150m loop on their first session. Once accredited in this way they will be allowed to swim the longer laps on their own.
- Prices: £8 per session. You can swim for all or part of a session.
We want to reward our regular swimmers, so we are introducing an ATW loyalty card – collect 10 stamps and get your next swim free. Collect your loyalty card at lakeside on your first swim. Stamps for the loyalty card can be collected at any of our Swim venues.
- Event Cancellation Policy: We want you to book with confidence so, if your session(s) can no longer go ahead, you will receive a refund of your entry fee, or a transfer to alternative session. (Booking fees are non-refundable)
- Transfers & Refunds: If you are not able to attend your session(s) we will transfer you to an alternative session on the condition that we are told with a minimum of 48hrs notice before your session starts. You will not be able to transfer between sessions without a minimum of 48hrs notice.
- Covid 19: ActiveTrainingWorld want everyone to enjoy these open water swimming sessions safely and therefore we require everyone to adhere to our social distancing guidelines when attending the sessions. Anyone found to be flaunting the rules will be requested to leave the venue and banned from all future ATW open water swimming sessions.
- Additional Fees: None
- Event Organiser: Active Training World
- Organiser Email: email@example.com
Wet suits are not compulsory but a brightly coloured swim hat or tow float is. We do have swim hats for sale at lakeside if you forget yours.
Wetsuit hire and shop purchases will not be available whilst the strict social distancing rules are in place. Later in the year we may be able to introduce this but for now we expect all swimmers to arrive ready to swim and have everything they need with them.
Why not invest in something new for the 2021 season? Whether you’re just starting out with open water swimming or are a seasoned swimmer looking for a refresh of your kit, our partner supplier, Zone 3 will have something for you.
Wetsuits, Goggles & Caps, Safety & Warmth, Fitness & Compression, Waterproof Bags
If you’re a newcomer and you don’t know where to start, check out our article “6 essentials for every Open Water Swimmer”
Entering the lake
A 2m queuing system will be operational to enter the lake. Before entering the lake you need to give your name to the ATW staff member who will have a list of all pre-paid swimmers. Remember there is no pay on the day and you will be turned away if you haven’t pre booked.
In the lake
When in the water we require everyone to swim individually in their own space or with someone that you share a house with. Please respect the swimmers around you and find your own space. If you get into trouble in the water then lie on your back with one arm in the air and our water safety team will be on hand to help.
Exiting the lake
When you exit the lake you will be able to pick up your bag from the baggage area. From there we expect you to get changed in the designated area or make your way back to your vehicle to get changed and leave quickly. Once COVID restrictions are relaxed we will be encouraging our swimmers to enjoy the lakeside atmosphere, but for now we must follow the rules.
If you are not a competent swimmer then please do not attend these sessions, the lake is not the place to learn to swim.
It is important that you are fit to swim and have not experienced any Covid-19 symptoms in the 14 days leading up to your session. If you are feeling unwell you should not attend.
The water is tested on a monthly basis by an external laboratory who give us approval that open water swimming activities are safe to take place at the lake.
During the summer months the temperature can rise to a very pleasant 23 degrees Celsius with the average temperature around 19-21 degrees. At the start of the season the temperature is likely to be in the low teens. We will post the latest temperature on our Facebook page, and it will be prominently displayed at lakeside.
Parking, Arriving & Changing
Upon arrival, use the main entrance off the A1081, Luton Road and follow the signs to Open Water Swimming. Free parking is available at the venue on the internal road from the Hotel. Only park in designated areas on the left hand side of the road, allowing room for two-way traffic to pass. This may mean a short walk to the lake entrance, trust me…its worth it!
There is no access to any changing rooms, but we will have two changing tents available for you. Swimmers are requested to arrive ready to swim. You can of course put your wetsuit on by your car.
We will have a gazebo at lakeside for you to put a small bag under while you swim. Please do not bring large bags with you, as this will be a shared area. Note that ATW accept no responsibility for the security of your belongings while you swim. Our staff at lakeside will look after your car keys for you while you swim if you wish?
It would be a good idea to practice putting on your wetsuit by yourself as currently, people will not be able to assist you with fastening the rear zip on your wetsuit.
After your swim you will be able to use the designated changing tents to change in. Inside there will be no tables, chairs or other surfaces. No baggage is to be left in the changing tent.
Portable toilets will be located at the entrance to the swim field.
There should be hot drinks available to purchase at most sessions.
By entering this event you agree to the below terms and conditions:
Where specified on the booking form any medical information will be passed onto the medical team present at the event.
1) I declare that I am medically fit to take part & understand that I do so entirely at my own risk and that I am a confident and competent swimmer.
2) I understand that I enter these sessions at my own risk and that no person(s) or organisation(s) will be held responsible for any accident, injury or loss to myself, prior to, during or after the sessions.
3) I understand the organisers reserve the right to alter the arrangements and conditions, should circumstances require.
- If this is your first registration on our new booking platform but had an ATW account previously, your old ATW log in details are now invalid and a new account will be created for you when you book your first event without logging in.
- You can copy your name and details to multiple sessions but if you are booking places for others, please ensure you complete the details for each attendee carefully giving the correct names and any alternative email addresses
Book your session
If you are happy to follow our social distancing rules and want to swim in the beautiful fresh water lake then we very much look forward to seeing you at Luton Hoo soon!