MTS Open Water Swimming
WE’RE DELIGHTED TO SAY THAT WE ARE RE-OPENING FROM SATURDAY 24TH JULY!
Our very popular Open Water Swimming sessions are up and running. The season will last until 17th October.
If you swam with us last year you will have experienced the clear blue water of the lake, the peaceful solitude that the water brings, the regal heron sitting on her favourite log, the honk of the geese as they fly over in formation, not to mention the amazing sunsets……and all of this with the comfort that you are under the watchful eye of our professional water-safety team who accompany you on the water in their kayaks. Whether you are returning in 2021 or dipping your toe for the first time, our friendly team can’t wait to welcome you at lakeside.
If you’re new to Open Water Swimming, why not read our recent article “Our top 6 tips to start open water swimming”
We do expect everyone attending these sessions to be a competent and confident swimmer but this does not mean that you have to be fast. We welcome swimmers of all standards and ages to enjoy our beautiful lake, from professional triathletes, to channel swimmers and members of the British swimming program, to those who simply wish to take in the peace and beauty of the lake and let the calming waters wash away their worries and concerns.
Please read through the Pre-Swim information guide HERE
- Location: Merchant Taylors’ School, Sandy Lodge Road, Moor Park, Northwood, HA6 2HT
- Session times :
Monday & Wednesday 18:00 – 19:00
Saturdays & Sundays 8:00am – 10:00am
Registration opens 15 minutes before each session.
You can swim for as long as you want within the session time, so if you are training for a long-distance challenge, feel free to stay in for longer.
- Distances: We will have a 150m, 300m, 500m, 750m, and on occasion a 1km lap. You can complete as many laps as you wish.
- Minimum Age: The sessions are open to under 16’s who must also be confident swimmers. Under 16’s will only be allowed to complete the 150m lap unless specific permission has been given by the lakeside staff. Under 12’s must be accompanied at all times in the water by an adult from the same household. All swimmers between 12-16 yrs will be asked to do a monitored 150m loop on their first session. Once accredited in this way they will be allowed to swim the longer laps on their own.
- Prices: £8 per session. You can swim for all or part of a session.
This year we want to reward our regular swimmers, so we are introducing an ATW loyalty card – collect 10 stamps and get your next swim free. Collect your loyalty card at lakeside on your first swim.
- Event Cancellation Policy: We want you to book with confidence so, if your session(s) can no longer go ahead, you will receive a refund of your entry fee, or a transfer to alternative session. (Booking fees are non-refundable)
- Transfers & Refunds: If you are not able to attend your session(s) we will transfer you to an alternative session on the condition that you email email@example.com with a minimum of 48hrs notice before your session starts. You will not be able to transfer between sessions without a minimum of 48hrs notice.
- Covid 19: ActiveTrainingWorld want everyone to enjoy these open water swimming sessions safely and therefore we require everyone to adhere to our strict social distancing rules when attending the sessions. Anyone found to be flaunting the rules will be instantly banned from all future ATW open water swimming sessions.
- Additional Fees: None
- Event Organiser: Active Training World
- Organiser Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Wet suits are not compulsory but a brightly coloured swim hat or tow float is. We do have swim hats for sale at lakeside if you forget yours.
Wetsuit hire and shop purchases will not be available whilst the strict social distancing rules are in place. Later in the year we may be able to introduce this but for now we expect all swimmers to arrive ready to swim and have everything they need with them.
Why not invest in something new for the 2021 season? Whether you’re just starting out with open water swimming or are a seasoned swimmer looking for a refresh of your kit, our partner supplier, Zone 3 will have something for you.
The range includes:
Wetsuits, Goggles & Caps, Safety & Warmth, Fitness & Compression, Waterproof Bags
If you’re a newcomer and you don’t know where to start, check out our article “6 essentials for every Open Water Swimmer”
Entering the lake
A 2m queuing system will be operational to enter the lake. At registration you will need to give your name to the ATW staff member who will have a list of all pre-paid swimmers. Remember there is no pay on the day and you will be turned away if you haven’t pre booked.
In the lake
When in the water please respect the swimmers around you and find your own space. If you get into trouble in the water then lie on your back with one arm in the air and our water safety team will be on hand to help.
Exiting the lake
When you exit the lake you will be able to pick up your bag from the baggage area. From there we expect you to get changed in the designated area, the tents or make your way back to your vehicle to get changed. We hope that you will enjoy the lakeside environment, including our great coffee provider.
We encourage those who are new to open-water swimming to come down and try it out for the first time, but if you are not able to swim safely then please do not attend these sessions, the lake is not the place to learn how to swim.
It is important that you are fit to swim and have not experienced any Covid-19 symptoms in the 14 days leading up to your session. If you are feeling unwell you should not attend.
The water is tested on a monthly basis by an external laboratory who give us approval that open water swimming activities are safe to take place at the lake.
During the summer months the temperature can rise to a very pleasant 23 degrees Celsius with the average temperature around 19-21 degrees. At the start of the season the temperature is likely to be in the low teens. We will post the latest temperature on our Facebook page, and it will be prominently displayed at lakeside.
Parking, Arriving & Changing
Free parking is available at the school. There is no access to the showers or changing rooms. Swimmers are required to arrive ready to swim. You can of course put your wetsuit on by your car.
It would be a good idea to practice putting on your wetsuit by yourself as people will not be able to assist you with fastening the rear zip on a wetsuit.
After your swim you will be able to use the designated ATW gazebos to change in. These will have a ‘1 out, 1 in’ policy and inside there will be no tables, chairs or other surfaces. No baggage is allowed to be kept in this area.
The toilets will be in the Old Merchant Taylors clubhouse building next to the car park.
There should be a mobile van selling hot & cold drinks at most sessions.
By entering this event you agree to the below terms and conditions:
Where specified on the booking form any medical information will be passed onto the medical team present at the event.
1) I declare that I am medically fit to take part & understand that I do so entirely at my own risk and that I am a confident and competent swimmer.
2) I understand that I enter these sessions at my own risk and that no person(s) or organisation(s) will be held responsible for any accident, injury or loss to myself, prior to, during or after the sessions.
3) I understand the organisers reserve the right to alter the arrangements and conditions, should circumstances require.
- If this is your first registration on our new booking platform but had an ATW account previously, your old ATW log in details are now invalid and a new account will be created for you when you book your first event without logging in.
- You can copy your name and details to multiple sessions but if you are booking places for others, please ensure you complete the details for each attendee carefully giving the correct names and any alternative email addresses
Book your session
If you are happy to follow our social distancing rules and want to swim in the beautiful fresh water lake then we very much look forward to seeing you at the lake soon!